So I'm a little late to the game. FOMO has been around for quite a bit now and apparently I didn't notice until a few months ago. What's FOMO you ask, like-minded oblivious soul to acronyms that confuse the hell out of you? Fear Of Missing Out.
So when might you experience this FOMO sensation? Some more normal examples are:
- When it appears all of your social media friends are just killing it at being a human in their spare time at breweries, concerts, and everything else!
- When you're sitting in the staff room listening to everyone talk about Game of Thrones, Orange is the New Black, or some other series you don't watch.
- When you get invited to a tailgate via group text and you're super exhausted, have nothing to bring, and need to wake up super early the next day, but everyone else is all about it.
- When that music festival is rolling around your country and everyone and their grandmother has tickets!
- My mom had a really bad case of FOMO when my blog about trail mix made it to her inbox. She was super into it thinking there would be this awesome recipe for trail mix at the end and sadly there wasn't. Well mom, here is your recipe as promised:
Now, here is a (slightly less common) list of FOMO that I and maybe some of my fellow adventurers have experienced at some point in our lives:
- When your cousin returns from her awesome wedding on top of a mountain during the solar eclipse.
- When Backpacker magazine arrives in your mail and those articles got you questioning why you ever spent thousands of dollars to not get paid to climb mountains.
- When sleeping bags with arm holes became a thing and now you question everything your previous sleeping bag has ever done for you.
- When you see your IG filled with friends walking on slack lines across rocky gorges
- When one of your friends is finishing up the PCT and you suddenly want to quit all of your responsibilities and become a thru hiker.
Well, there you have it. FOMO. The thing we've been feeling our whole lives only now it has a ridiculous acronym. Are you currently experiencing any FOMO? Share it below and we can all be anxious/jealous/excited/envious together!